The opensource market is booming. Recent speculation shows that the open source development services would reach a CAGR of 24.2% by 2026. There are various factors that come into play for the increased share of the technology in the market.
It allows developers to reduce the development cost and increases the chances of return on investment. Open source technologies are perfect in the current dynamic environment. They are perfect for building feature-rich and high-performing products for startups and small and medium-sized businesses. However, it offers low security and has a high cost of integration services which has become a roadblock in its potential success in the market.
You can use the open source development services to build a variety of products like websites, web applications, mobile applications, etc. They give you the utmost flexibility and empowers the developers to use their creativity and bring out innovation in the development of the products. They also give them scalability to keep on increasing their software product capabilities as they grow in their industry. Adapting to new trends becomes easy with open-source technologies.
The growth of opensource development provides people with an opportunity to deliver new solutions through partnerships. Back in 2019, Red Hat and Infosys announced a collaboration for developing an end-to-end source reference architecture and solution for IoT development, fintech development, the oil and gas industry, and more.
Furthermore, the development in Kubernetes market shows a positive impact on the implementation of better software solutions. With Kubernets, you can hire fullstack developers that are proficient in eliminating smaller operations processes, such as configurations which makes the development process more rewarding. It means no extra time spent on unseen plumbing and less direct effect on the business. It would also help the operator in leveraging new trends of technology to manage the infrastructure better and ensure compliance.
The technical adaptation is increasing ata fast pace. The organizations are using open source development services for IT infrastructure modernization, digital transformation, application development, and integration. In the last two years, 53% of companies have used open source technologies for IT infrastructure modernization and 43% for application integration.
Open source technologies offer a wide range of licenses that focus on the availability of the source code and the ability to modify and share it. It also increases the applicability of various software and for different types of software development. According to WhiteSource Software, the MIT license remains at the top of the popular open-source license list, which is 27%.
During the ongoing Covid 19 pandemic, the demand for the open source service companies see are increasingly used. Vendors in the market are using and expanding open source repositories, which contain datasets, models, visualizations, web and mobile applications, etc. Companies are becoming more innovative to meet the challenges of the information age and also that of the Covid 19 pandemic.
Community-driven open source platforms with no central authority are responsible for quality and maintenance. Often for complex application development and dependencies, inherent qualities of a community-driven platform are used. But it is important to manage the security and protect the whole process to introduce policies and practices that protect them from cyberattacks of all types.
Popular Open source technology trends
- Companies are using open source technology for decreased operational and implementation costs. Vendors in the open source market usually charge for the addons. These addons are usually for security improvements, managing interoperability and are usually cheaper than the closed source alternatives. Moreover, they offer 24*7 support from vendors to provide the right services and provide end-to-end services, including consultation, implementation, maintenance, training. It allows you to solve the issues quickly and ensure optimum efficiency to the customers.
- The use of permissive open-source licenses has increased, and the use of the copy-left licenses and GPL-family are decreasing. Permissible licenses impend minimal restriction on software users. Software under these licenses can be incorporated into other proprietary software without disclosing the source code. The newly created software may be distributed, which helps in the reduction of cost and time of development. It contributes to the growth of the open source development market.
- According to WhiteSource Software, 67% of open source components have permissive licenses. Only 33% of the top 10 most popular licenses are copy-left as compared to the 36% last year and 59% in 2012. This is evidence of how fast the world is adopting permissive licenses.
- Companies are adopting partnerships to accelerate technology evolutions and reduce the time to market. In March 2020, HPE, in partnership with intel and support from key industry leaders including AMI, Apstra, Red Hat, Tech Mahindra, and World Wide Technology, announced an open distributed management initiative. The new open source program will simplify the management of the large-scale geographically distributed physical infrastructure deployments.
- Rolling 5G networks across thousands of sites equipped with IT infrastructure from various vendors and different generations of technology is difficult. You can resolve this complex situation using open source technology. Since fast-speed internet is unstoppable, this is one of the biggest contributors to the increased growth of open source development services market.
- Security is the biggest concern with open source development; various vendors in the market are forming alliances to address the issues. For instance, in August 2020, Microsoft announced its collaboration with industry partners. Google, GitHub, IBM, NCC Group, OWASP to help create an open source security foundation. Open SSF works together from GitHub-initiated Open Source Security Coalition, Linux Foundation-initiated Core Infrastructure Initiative, and others to make open source security efforts more rewarding to improve the security of open source software.
- There are services for identifying security threats to open source projects, Security tooling, and vulnerability disclosure, etc. This is set to foster the adoption of open source platforms and thereby expected to drive the growth of open source services in the industry.
North America is expected to hold a major share
- The USA is witnessing the growth of the open source service market. It holds prominent players such as IBM, RedHat, Oracle Corporation, etc. The high adoption rate of new technologies is going to increase the investment in cloud technology and thus in open source technology.
- Open source is very much dependent on the USA Developers. They have been old players and have been fostering the technology for a long while. The developers living in the US remain the single largest group of contributors since 2014, and their contribution is very much essential in the current phase. This also indicates that open source adoption would be much higher in the US.
- Increased adoption of open source services in various industries in the US is a major boost for the market. Open source software development is very efficient in providing the needed scalability in the software as the businesses grow. With the integrated cloud, cybersecurity, DevOps, and other competencies, you can expect people to be more and more looking forward to undergoing open source development.
- The partnership of Red Hat and NVIDIA with Royal Bank of Canada for developing a new AI computing platform designed to transform the banking experience of the people is going to help pace the technology adoption at a high rate. Intelligent software applications are not just going to benefit the banking industry but also the other industries.
- The US is also a hotspot of the open source summits, including Linux Foundation Member Summit, Open Networking, and Edge Summit, and other networking events. It is a great indication that the open source development communities are participating enthusiastically in the progress of open source market.
The market is currently very much fragmented owing to the presence of already established players in the market. However, the open source development allows people to access various codes available, and it becomes difficult for SMBs to compete with the current players in the market, given flexibility, interoperability, and cost savings.
- In August 2020, Kubermatics GmbH announced the release of Kubecarrier, a new open source, cloud-native service management platform that would be helpful in solving the problems associated with the deployment of Kubernetes. The company aims to provide the clients manage the workload across multiple clusters and report to incorporate the technology into a commercial offering.
- Last year in July, IBM Corp and Red Hat Inc announced the strategic partnership, and this has accelerated the digital transformation. It also strengthens security for enterprises which is good news for regulated industries. The partnership is also intended to deliver personalized experienced and elevate customer engagement and profitability. It also increases brand loyalty.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise launched its HPE container platform, a Kubernetes container system that is specifically designed to run cloud and on-premises applications. This will enable the applications to run on multiple environments and provide one management layer.
Predictions on Opensource technologies
Opensource software is growing at a fast pace. It gives users the autonomy to develop and modify their work in unique ways. You can integrate the work into a large project and determine a new work based on the original. It is a type of licensing agreement. Opensource technologies are supported by tech giants such as Apache Software Foundation. It supports open-source software development and provides flexibility in the operations to build high-performing applications and online service products.
Open source licenses are very popular because they give you a major benefit in the software development landscape. With enhanced capabilities and reduced development cost, no developer would deny you the ultimate benefits of this combination. Apart from it, opensource technologies have the qualities to develop advanced solutions too. Software products for various high-end, performance-driven industries such as robotics, biotech, and electronics become easy with them. This adds up to the bright future of open source development services in the long run.
Growth of Kubernetes
Kubernetes is an open source container orchestration platform. It allows users to automate the application deployment, scale up the applications and manage them. This means you to deploy the cloud-native applications anywhere and effectively manage them from everywhere. This gives a major boost to outsourced software development.
Also, Kubernetes handles the work of scheduling containers into a compute cluster, and the IDC predicts that for open source. The growth of Kubernetes allows developers to integrate and manage tasks easily. The development is also indispensable as the availability of the new application driver would make adoption easier.
Increased use of open source software
The use of opensource software is going to increase exponentially as the factors such as control, training, security, and stability of open source technologies increase. Open source software is widely trusted in the market, and people would get more control over software development and website development services. Open source code is publicly accessible; programmers can easily study and look into the various aspects of the source software to improve their development tactics and become better software developers.
Supporting open source community development
Open source projects are very much dependent on a collaborative approach. Since the code is available, online these projects are developed in diverse and geographically dispersed communities to develop high-end products using their own rules, tools, conventions, and processes.
The benefits and freedom of development heighten the craze of open source technologies all across the world. Their role in the open source community is critical for business growth; most importantly, it is the future of technology. If open source development can make project products more widely available, it is going to make a huge impact on how open source technologies are perceived and adopted worldwide and are supported over time.
Open source to lead Big Data
Data science is currently booming, and every industry is leveraging the power of data to boost its business operations. Open source software can support all the needs of a data scientist effectively. R and Python are the most popular general-purpose data science programming languages are open source technologies. They are used in a number of open source projects, including Custom software development.
Skyrocketing adoption of Linux
Linux is an open source operating system that is based on the Linux kernel. It is gradually increasing its market share in the last few years. It is being used in a Linux distribution that involves Linux Kernal and supporting system software and libraries, which are provided by the GNU project.