Online platforms have paved multiple pathways to help businesses expand globally. With the increasing use of smartphones and the ease of availability of the internet, companies are looking to expand their enterprise services on digital platforms. When it comes to site-building platforms, the two most popular ones are WordPress and Drupal. If you have made up your mind to take the plunge into the virtual world but are confused about which platform is better, you are at the right place. In this article, we will help you differentiate between WordPress and Drupal so that you choose the one that is best suited for your business’s specific needs.
The digitalized era demands an online presence. If you are thinking of building an online reputation through a content management system, the first thing that would have popped up is to choose which CMS to deploy. Undoubtedly WordPress and Drupal are the most prominent content management systems globally. But if you have to choose the best you need to pay keen attention to all aspects from development to usage to features and more. Technology has evolved a lot over the years. To build a website you no longer need to be tech-savvy, thanks to these content management systems and website builders. But if you are tending to develop a professional website rich with features, we recommend you to take the help of a software application development company.
What Is A Content Management System?
A content management system, abbreviated as CMS, is an application that helps to build sites where information can be added, edited, and published. There are ample tools and plugins available on CMS platforms to make website development easier and better. Users do not have to be experts in coding to build a website using CMS, but if you know how to code, it is a bonus. A CMS allows users to manage content from the dashboard of the internal user interface.
Drupal - Introduction And Insight
WordPress - Introduction And Insight
WordPress has evolved from a blogging platform to one of the largest content management systems to an e-Commerce website building site exclusively. WordPress is newer than Drupal, it was released on 27 May 2003. WordPress uses PHP as a programming language. As per W3Techs, “WordPress powers over 1/3rd of the top 10 million websites on the web. Over the last few years, the market share has been rising steadily, reaching 33.4% from 29.9%.”
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Both CMS
Both Drupal as well as WordPress are widely used CMS platforms. However, to select the best, we need to dig into the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Advantages Of Drupal
Over the years, Drupal is growing to be the leading CMS. Drupal keeps launchings its new modules that are equipped with cutting-edge technologies. It has a wide community worldwide. If you are looking forward to using python, you can contact the python development company. The top benefits of using Drupal are mentioned below:
- Customize Content Development:
- Drupal is one of the best CMS to develop curated websites that fit business needs. Drupal has more than 16,000 modules that are widely used to modify, and adjust websites as per need.
- Supports Multilingual Sites: It is another best feature of Drupal. Different language support was never an easy task until Drupal arrived. Now, businesses can easily target to expand globally. It is easier to interact with visitors of a language-specific region using Drupal. The multilingual capabilities have offered multiple opportunities to companies to upscale and expand their businesses. The latest version of Drupal has more than 100 languages and is equipped with a strong translation module. It allows you to easily translate any component.
- Inbuilt Access Control Systems:
- Latest module of Drupal facilitates easy content editing and managing. The content creation page is user-friendly with a distinct column for content creation and optional settings. You can use the tool WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) to create dynamic content easily. You can even edit the content in the front-end using this tool. This means that while finally taking a view of the site in a similar format as a visitor you can make changes just before the content goes live. Another significant tool Twig is fast, flexible, and secure used for rapid theming.
- Unlike WordPress, Drupal offers top-notch security. As of 2015, the annual Drupal Security report notes that “there have been no widely exploited vulnerabilities in Drupal Core for which there was no patch or upgrade available at the time of Public disclosure”. Data security is of the utmost importance when it comes to building sites for businesses. This is a critical reason why businesses are shifting from WordPress to Drupal.
- Business-oriented: Drupal is a powerful platform to start a website afresh for business or revamping the website. Integration of cutting-edge technologies, loads of modules, and clean code has made Drupal a business-oriented content management system. It requires a python development company to integrate everything from customer relationship management (CRM) software to carts and other business needs.
- Flexible Taxonomy For Data Handling:
- The taxonomy of Drupal is easier than WordPress. This is why it is convenient to handle large chunks of data using Drupal. Businesses have loads of data to operate each day, and Drupal offers the desired flexibility.
- Cross-border Usability: In today's era, with a significant dependency on smartphones businesses need to offer services that are independent of location and devices. Drupal allows developing a website that is compatible with all browsers. The site can smoothly run on Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc. This makes the business highly scalable.
- Mobile Capabilities:
- As per the new ranking trend where mobile experience holds the top stage, Drupal has updated itself to put mobile users at its core. It is equipped with mobile-friendly tools that help to make the website responsive to mobile devices.
Advantages Of WordPress
- Easy To Use: WordPress is very easy to install and get started with. If you are looking forward to developing an e-Commerce site, WordPress has introduced WooCommerce which has made the entire development process much easier.
- Community Support:
- WordPress just like Drupal is an open-source platform, and hence has large and active community support. Developers can make changes in code as per need without having to start from scratch. This saves significant time for developers making the platform developers’ favorite. Developers can easily share the code as well. You do not need to pay the License and Subscription fees, which is the case in most of the plugins, and themes can be used free of cost under the GPLv2 license.
- Google has changed the parameters of SEO ranking and now the ranking is based on the mobile-friendliness of the site. WordPress offers themes and plugins that are highly responsive and boost the website’s user experience and SEO.
- Cost-effective: WordPress is a cost-effective solution to develop a website. The prime reason being you do not need a developer to do the setup. It offers cost-friendly hosting plans as well.
- Plugins: WordPress is stuffed with a wide range of You can find plugins for almost all kinds of functionalities. There are over 45,000 plugins present on WordPress. Whatever be your need, you can find a plugin that makes your task easier. This reduces the need for coding for each and everything.
- WordPress is a highly flexible platform and is being used for all sized purposes, from small-scale businesses to enterprises. From personal blogs to complex websites developed by software application development company professionals for multinationals, WordPress fits everywhere.
Disadvantages Of Drupal
Along with ample advantages, Drupal comes with a few disadvantages as well. Here, we have listed the cons and its solution where needed.
- Excessive Memory Consumption:
- This is one of the most prominent drawbacks of Drupal and is a reason for complaints from most of its The prime reason behind this is its large module. Drupal, the open-source CMS, loads modules on every request leading to excessive memory consumption. So, here are a few ways that you can use to manage storage issues. You can have more RAM power from your hosting provider to avoid the issue. You can optimize the usage to get a free of cost solution to manage RAM consumption. You can also use Drupal Dynamic Page Cache functionality.
- Drastic Changes In The New Version: The software is continuously evolving and with each new version it integrates new technologies. Users sometimes face compatibility issues that occur due to quickly changing versions. Bugs and some other errors also discourage users. However, the new version is mandatory in terms of having a better experience with high security and speed. So, it is recommended that before moving to the new version you should check your web resources performance compatibility. You can also hire Drupal programmer and move to a newer module.
- Less Themes:
- There are a lot of beginners who complain about Drupal offering fewer themes for starters. But there are many sources available to spread content outside of the website built using D You can use themes as a beginner to develop common websites, but if you are looking to add a pinch of uniqueness, you need to pave your own way. Drupal facilitates adding uniqueness to the website. Hence, if you are looking forward to developing a customized solution, the fewer themes is not a matter to consider.
- Low-quality Modules On New Versions: According to some users, the new modules take a longer time to become stable. And this issue is not for a single module but comes with every version of the Drupal release. Drupal offers dynamic functionalities and new versions are embedded with cutting-edge technologies. The newer versions make the entire process faster and easier.
Disadvantages Of WordPress
Similar to Drupal, there are few cons of using WordPress as well. Here is a glimpse of the same, along with some quick solutions suggested to fix them wherever possible.
- Vulnerability: WordPress is an open-source platform and thus faces a risk of cyberattacks and data theft issues. If you are using its free version, WordPress can take down your site by giving prior information. This is one of the major disadvantages of WordPress. Research says, “WordPress has been registered as the one with the highest number of vulnerabilities with 542 in 2018, which is a 30% increase from 2017.”
- Frequent Updates:
- WordPress demands frequent updates, just installing it is not enough. This can be annoying for a few users, you might need to install loads of plugins and themes to make sure it works properly. In such a case, it is recommended to have a data backup, or you can use Drupal and hire Drupal programmer.
- Customization: If you are looking forward to customizing your site but you are not good with tech, then the process could be tedious for you. In such a scenario, it is suggested that you take the help of a WordPress developer to customize your website as per your requirements.
- Data Security:
- There is a continuous risk of losing data or data breaches due to potential hackers. If you are looking forward to minimizing the risk of vulnerabilities and improving data security you can select apt themes and plugins and always assess it before installing.
Drupal Vs WordPress: Which One Is Better?
- Ease Of Use: If you are tech-savvy, Drupal is the best solution for developing a business website. If you are less tech-savvy, you might love to go with WordPress or hire Drupal developers. When it comes to businesses, you need a highly customized website that makes Drupal the best fit for business-oriented solutions.
- In today’s’ hectic schedule, page loading time is of utmost importance for visitors as well as search e WordPress offers good loading speed but sometimes gets bogged down due to too many plugins. Drupal offers a lot of creative opportunities to develop a website with good page load speed. You can take the help of offshore python developers to develop a dynamic website.
- Flexibility: Well, flexibility cannot be a determining factor to select the best CMS. While some users believe that WordPress is more flexible, others are in favor of Drupal. Drupal has lots of functionalities to experiment and implement in the Drupal development services, but if you are a beginner you might find the process difficult. WordPress gives an impression of great features but at the core, Drupal is the most feature-rich CMS.
Read the blog- What Is Happening To Drupal 7, Drupal 8, and Drupal 9?
This is why it is mostly used to build large projects such as an enterprise-level website. But if you have a short-sized project for small businesses or, for example, building personal websites, WordPress would be the best option because here, you will not have to look for developers.
- WordPress and Drupal both are open-source platforms that run free of cost. The hosting and domain fees are almost similar but the difference lies in building and maintaining both platforms. It is more expensive to use Drupal than WordPress as more time is consumed in Drupal development services than WordPress.
- Security: When it comes to security, the internet can be a nightmare. WordPress has major security issues. It is said 90% of WordPress websites are prone to hacking and data loss. This is the major discouraging factor of using WordPress. It allows third-party integration which increases security threats. The study further states that “in 2013, 70% of the top 40,000 most popular WordPress websites were vulnerable to hackers. The hack continues and in 2016, millions of hacks are happening every week across plugins. And in 2017, the average small business website using WordPress is attacked 44 times a day at this point, and WordPress websites are two times more likely to be hacked than other CMS.” If you have time and are looking for a highly secured website, Drupal will suit your requirement. It has inbuilt enterprise-scale security. Offshore python developers are high in-demand.
- Drupal offers better scalability than WordPress. We use plugins to make WordPress websites scalable whereas we develop more to make Drupal websites Drupal is developed for large-scale projects so it has strong backend support. Its customization ability, security, flexibility, and scalability make it a business-oriented CMS.
WordPress as well as Drupal are powerful CMS with immense ability to develop amazing sites. But as far as businesses are concerned, we have enough reasons to conclude that Drupal is built for large-scale projects. WordPress, on the other hand, is better suited for small-scale projects. Here, we tried to focus on the most popular content management systems - WordPress and Drupal - and looked into great detail at the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Finally, we compared WordPress and Drupal from the business-site building perspective and found that Drupal fits in the requirement aptly mostly due to its customization, flexibility, security, and scalability features. Hopefully, the article could help you figure out which CMS to choose for your upcoming business project. If you are thinking of using Drupal to develop a customized site, we recommend you hire Drupal developer.